Succeeding Veggie Mami to be Best Restaurant of the Month is Veggie SF. Here’s the low down.
It’s now six years since Veggie SF originally appeared as a lacto ovo vegetarian restaurant. The 1950s San Francisco themed diner has always been a fun place to chew at. Paul and Bess who run the gig took things a step further when they went from V to V+; they went all vegan in January 2016. When we previously covered Veggie SF and that upgrade to all vegan, Paul gave us a quote that remains superb for the simplicity of its genius:
“Older and wiser. Initially we set up mainly on religious reasons. As we’ve learned more it’s now more about animal compassion. Vegan is the way to go.”
There’s a specific reason why Veggie SF picks up the December award. Namely its where we went to quietly mark my birthday. These are some of our favourites:-
* Trip to Bali – Indonesian gado gado salad, tofu, cashew nut, fried soy goodies served with coconut rice
* All Day Breakfast – soup, scrambled turmeric tofu, tomato beans, portobello, salad with cashew nut, pesto toast, fried soy goodies and pumpkin potato wedges
* Giant – grilled portobello & sweet pineapple glamburger with home made soy basil mayo, alfalfa, onion, potato, pumpkin wedges & mixed salad
Expect some minor mental exercise as you figure out a way to get this burger equivalent of a skyscraper into your mouth.
There’s a minimum spend of 150 hkd per person. Anyone on a tighter budget may want to be swayed in that portions are hefty. Even just a main course is likely to do the job for most people. With the explanation on their menu of the house rules (no smoking, no booze, cash only), is a comment worth a quiet smile. “We don’t care who you are or who you think you are”. Long live egalitarianism.
* Veggie SF
* 10/F Stanley 11, 11 Stanley Street
* Nearest MTR – Central exit D2
* +852 3902 3902