*** January 2018 edits: 14) Mirror & Vegan Concept revised opening times, 29) Zhi Chuk Lam removed ***
All eateries listed purport to be all-vegan venues 24 x 365 in all products they offer / distribute. From our talks with management at each place, each of these all-vegan declarations seem credible. That is the sole criteria for listing / not listing (see further below why some places don’t make the list). Things change though so if you visit any it’s sensible to ask. Check ahead re stated opening times. Please let us know of any changes to the listed info.
1) Amitabha – Buddhist restaurant offering Hong Kong style food. Declared themselves upgraded to all-vegan in reply to requests largely from the Indian part of their clientele. Note their sister Amitabha restaurant in Tsing Yi is still lacto-ovo vegetarian.
- Amitabha Vegetarian Restaurant
- G/F, 41-43 Station Lane (opposite Kwun Yam Taoist Temple)
- Nearest MTR – Ho Man Tin exit B1
- +852 2215 4882
- Open 7 days, 7:30 – 22:30
2) A Mi Tuo Fo Su Xin Yuan – Est Oct 2017. Crowdfunded, Buddhist restaurant staffed entirely by volunteers. No mock meat used. Also has an appreciation room for exquisite tea. No affiliation with Amitabha in Ho Man Tin
- A Mi Tuo Fo Su Xin Yuan
- Shop 7-17, LG/F, Kwai Chung Garden Shopping Centre, 50 Wo Yi Hop Road, Shek Lei. Entrance to the shopping centre is on Tai Loong Street
- a) Nearest MTR Kwai Hing exit D & 23 mins walk; or b) At Kwai Hing Station take Bus 94 from Sun Kwai Hing Plaza direction to Shek Wai Kok Estate 5 stops to Regent Centre c) from Kwai Fong MTR Exit A take KMB Bus No. 31M direction to Shek Lei 6 stops to Ta Chuen Ping Street 打磚坪街
- +852 2811 0951 / +852 5220 8331
- Open 7 days 11.00 – 21.00
3) CS Vegan Buffet – Established June 2009. This Buddhist run place is a small, budget-friendly joint. 60 HKD lunch and 88 HKD dinner for their superb, wholesome all you can eat buffet. A contender for the best value deal in town. Operated by wonderful people to do no more than break even so to make vegan food as affordable to as many folks as possible. They migrated from Fortress Hill in 2015 to bigger premises of 28 seats.
- CS Vegan Buffet
- 1/F, Potek House, 9 Tsing Fung St
- From Tin Hau MTR exit A1 turn left along Kings Rd. Then take 3rd street on left (directly under the flyover). Inside doorway number 9, press the big buzzer for access past the metal gate. CS Vegan is then on the first floor.
- +852 6680 9391
- Open 7 days 11.30 – 15.00 & 18.00 – 22.00
4) Green Fresh – Est Nov 2014. Pioneering all vegan dining in the New Territories. Food with a western slant and great desserts. Located around half way between the two stations in Tsuen Wan.
- Green Fresh
- Shop 9, G/F, Po Shing Mansion, 77-89 Tai Ho Rd
- Tsuen Wan MTR exit A, Tsuen Wan West rail exit B
- +852 2622 2817
- Open 7 days 11.30 – 22.00
5) Greenwoods Raw Cafe – Est Sep 2013. These folks are torch bearers in bringing vegan organic raw food to HK. Food is not heated above 41 degrees C during preparation. Also good for gluten free diets. Green by name and green by decor. Very contemporary food. Despite the plethora of vego restaurants nearby in TST this is the first reported on here as all vegan.
- Greenwoods Raw Cafe
- 13/F, 2 Carnarvon Rd
- Tsim Sha Tsui MTR exit D2
- +852 3428 2416
- Open Mon – Friday 12.00 – 15.00 & also Sat 12.00 – 17.00 & reservation required for 18.30 – 21.30. Closed Sun
6) & 7) Happy Cow Ice Cream Shop – Ice cream, waffle cones, toppings and ice cream sandwiches all marketed as vegan. All products are low GI & free from gluten, soy, artificial flavours, colouring & preservatives. Kosher and halal certified. No affiliation to the USA based online worldwide restaurant directory and phone app.
- Happy Cow HKU
- Shop G.05, G/F, HKU Students Union, Composite Building, Lower University Street, The University of Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam
- Nearest MTR – HKU exit A2 (near HKU West Gate)
- +852 2252 7773 (main office)
- Open Mon – Fri, 11.00 – 19.00; Sat, Sun & public hols, 12.00 – 18.00
- Happy Cow Scoop Shop, Booth 3, Man Kwong Street, Hong Kong Observation Wheel
- Nearest MTRs: Hong Kong exit A2, Central exit A
- +852 2252 7773 (main office)
- Open daily 11:00 – 21:00
8) Keep Fit – Est early 2017. Small stall in Kwun Chung Market in Jordan offering a small all vegan raw food menu (burger, pizza, cake). Messaging in advance recommended.
- Keep Fit
- Stall MN33, 1/F, Kwun Chung Market, 17 Bowring St
- From Jordan MTR Exit C2, walk along Bowring St until Kwun Chung St
- +852 5579 1929
- At time of launch, open Mon – Sat, from 3 pm to 8 pm. Open on Sunday only by reservation
9) LN Fortunate Coffee – An all vegan chain popular in other parts of East Asia. This branch opened in Sai Ying Pun in March 2016. Soup, pasta, sandwiches, waffles and other food with a western look and taste. LN is an abbreviation for Loving Nature.
- LN Fortunate Coffee
- G/F, 118 Eastern Street
- Sai Ying Pun MTR exit B2 (then turn right and its on the left hand side of the street)
- +852 2858 3898
- Open 7 days 9.00 – 22.00
10) & 11) & 12) Loving Hut – You pretty much know what you will get anywhere globally with the world’s most franchised vegetarian restaurant chain. Affordable mostly Chinese fast food. The Kowloon Bay branch has a bakery attached they also claim is all vegan. The branch opened in Spring 2017 at E-Max is under the same management as the Wan Chai branch.
- Loving Hut Amoy Plaza
- 245 Amoy Plaza Phase 2, 77 Ngau Tau Kok Road
- Kowloon Bay MTR exit A then walk along Fuk To Street towards Amoy Plaza
- +852 2751 1321
- Open Wed – Mon 11:30am-10:00pm. Closed Tue unless public holiday or 1st or 15th day of Chinese lunar calendar
- Loving Hut E-Max
- 2nd Floor E-Max, Kowloon Bay International Trade and Exhibition Centre, 1 Trademart Drive
- Kowloon Bay MTR exit A then take the free shuttle bus operating from outside the Hang Seng Tower from 06 45 am til midnight
- +852 2751 1321
- www.facebook.com/Loving-Hut-Wanchai-110836669067256/ (Same management as Loving Hut Wan Chai)
- Open 7 days 8.00 – 20.00
- Loving Hut Wan Chai
- 2/F Luen Tai Building, 93-99 Wan Chai Rd
- Wan Chai MTR exit A3 then turn left along Johnston Road
- +852 2574 3248
- Open 7 days 11.30 – 21.30
13) Loving Nature – There’s a whole lotta loving in the names of some of these HK vegan places. Originally Loving Nature was operated more like a coffee shop than anything else. On moving to new premises in March 2016 they are now more like a cafe and have a small food menu. The LN Fortunate Coffee logo on display gives away their affiliation to that particular vegan chain.
- Loving Nature
- Flat A, 4/F, Effort Industrial Building, 2 – 8 Kung Yip Street
- Kwai Hing MTR exit A
- +852 3628 3782
- Open Mon – Sat 12.00 – 18.00. Closed Sun
14) Mirror and Vegan Concept
Soft opening Thu 9 November 2017. Italian / Western food restaurant aimed nearer the higher than the lower end of the market. Licensed to sell alcohol.
- Mirror and Vegan Concept
- 9/F, 118 Queen’s Road Central (entrance on side street)
- Nearest MTR Central exit D2
- +852 2868 0810 / 9688 2521
- Open Mon – Sat, 11.30 – 21.30 (last orders 9 pm). Closed Sun
15) Naturalead Organic Veggie Cafe
Organic cafe opened Summer 2017 serving Japanese and Western food aimed nearer the higher than the lower end of the market.
- 4/F 10 Prat Avenue
- Nearest MTRs – Tsim Sha Tsui exits A2, D1 or D2 or Tsim Sha Tsui East exit N2
- +852 6740 6500
- From 10 Oct 2017, open Tue – Sun, 12.00 – 21.30. Closed Mon
16) Pure Veggie House – Est Nov 2007. Higher end place with much of their food coming from their organic farm. No use of MSG nor artificial colour. Managed under Buddhist philosophy with no use of the five pungent vegetables (garlic, leek, onion, shallot, spring onion).
- Pure Veggie House
- 3/F Coda Plaza, 51 Garden Road, Midlevels
- From Admiralty (Tamar Street) Bus Terminus (MTR exit B), take bus 12A towards MacDonnell Road. 6 min journey every 12 mins. 2nd stop is the YWCA & a Sinopec. Walk 50 metres downhill from YWCA to Coda Plaza
- +852 2525 0552
- Open 7 days 11.00 – 22.30
17) Rawsoever – Managed by a former protegee of Greenwoods, it’s all raw food as the name suggests. Pre-booking required. 14 seats make it among the smallest in our list. Location is on the beautiful Lamma Island, a relaxing 25 minute boat trip from Central Ferry Terminal. Ferries are regular to Lamma.
- Flat A, G/F, 18E Tai Yuen Village
- Nearest ferry pier – Yung Shue Wan
- +852 6136 1066
- Open for pre-booking only
18) R C Cafe – Opened January 2017 by Jeffrey Chan. Concept designed with input from the lady behind Soland (see below).
- R C Cafe
- Room 6, 13/F, New City Centre, 2 Lei Yue Mun Road
- Nearest MTR Kwun Tong exit D4
- +852 9473 3412
- Open currently for pre-reservation only via the above number
19) Soland – Midweek day lunch only. A small setup in what looks like a converted apartment. No microwave, pan-fried, deep-fried, stir-fried, MSG, egg, milk, mushroom (I’m unsure why there’s mushroom avoidance), nor corn starch. The lady quietly offers a simple & healthy set meal of the day. Soup, main & a drink at 55 HK bucks is great value. Soland has a commendable food waste avoidance policy with a set amount of food each day. Please book in advance. Otherwise if you just show up & there isn’t enough food for you, without fuss you’ll be declined a seat. Food waste in the 21st century is a disgrace so total respect to Soland for that.
- 3/F, Wah Yuen Building, 6 Gilman’s Bazaar
- Sheung Wan MTR exit E2 then walk to Queens Road Central (QRC) and turn left toward the Midlevels escalator. Then turn from QRC into Gilman’s Bazaar. The entrance stairs are on the left side of the very first shop on the left. There’s no elevator
- +852 9473 3412
- Open Mon – Fri 12.15 – 14.30 for only lunch. Closed weekends & public holidays
20) Thai Vegetarian Food – Bang in the heart of the Thai community in Kowloon City and with Thai restaurants galore nearby. This though is the only one that is all vego. Indeed Thai Vegetarian Food could justifiably rename their restaurant Thai Vegan Food. Strong flavours as you’d expect for Thai food.
- Thai Vegetarian Food
- G/F, 28 Nam Kok Rd, Kowloon City
- Lok Fu MTR exit B (15 min walk away or approx 30 HKD taxi)
- +852 6153 7421
- Open Wed – Mon 12.00 – 15.00 & 18.00 – 22.00. Closed Tue
21) The Veggie – Opened September 2016. Higher end dining with high quality ingredients including those imported from ecologically oriented farmers in Yunnan.
- The Veggie
- Shop B, 1/F COS Centre, 56 Tsun Yip Street
- Nearest MTR – Kwun Tong exit B3
- +852 9851 6252
- Open 7 days 11.30 – 22.00
22) The Vegvolution Kitchen
Established September 2017. Multi cuisine fusion food that includes vegan pizza with vegan cheese.
- The Vegvolution Kitchen
- 3/F, Po Ming Building, 2-6 Fu Ming Street
- Nearest MTR, Causeway Bay exit F2
- +852 6010 4487
- Open Wed – Mon, 12.00 – 21.30. Closed Tue
23) Vegether – Soft opened 29 August 2016. Located in the Chinese University of Hong Kong. Budget friendly Chinese food with a few western options. Located beside the campus pool.
* Note on re-visiting in late April 2017, Vegether have cook books on the shelf including dairy and egg recipes. What that means for the future policy of this establishment remains to be seen. If there is a change in the policy of the products offered to include non-vegan ingredients, Vegether will regrettably be removed from this page.
- LG 14, Benjamin Franklin Centre, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Sha Tin
- Nearest rail station – University. From University station follow signs for bus 1a, 1b & 2
- +852 2386 4366
- Open Mon – Sat 8.00 – 21.00. Closed Sun
24) Veggie Mami – Opened 1 July 2012. Purported as all-vegan since October 2015. 15 seat eatery serving North East Asian food with a contemporary slant. Family run.
- Veggie Mami
- G/F, 2A Poplar St
- Nearest MTR – Prince Edward exit C2 or D (C2 recommended. D is a walk past lots of gruesome butchers shops)
- +852 2787 0389
- Open Mon – Fri 11.30 – 19.30, Sun 11.30 – 17.30. Closed Sat
25) Veggie SF – Previously well established in HK as a lacto ovo vego eatery. Progressed to being all vegan in 2016. 1950s San Francisco themed diner selling international food. Minimum spend per person is 150 Hong Kong bucks.
- Veggie SF
- 10/F 11 Stanley St
- Nearest MTR, Central station exit D2
- +852 3902 3902
- Open Mon – Sat 11:45 – 14:30 & 17:45 – 21:00. Closed Sun
26) Veggi Monster – Opened October 2017. Take away place selling burgers (including vegan cheese burger), wraps, salads, snacks & drinks. Owner states packaging used is biodegradable.
- Veggi Monster
- G/F, 1B, Cheungs Building, 1 Wing Lok Street (shop is access is on Wing Wo Street)
- Nearest MTR – Sheung Wan exit E2
- +852 2886 0325
- Open Mon – Sat, 11.30 – 20.30. Closed Sun & HK public hols
27) Veggle Cafe – Opened April 2016 with ex Life Cafe chef, Derek Ip. Veggle similarly sells western food but not at the downtown prices of the former Life Cafe.
* Note March 2017. A customer complaint from a reliable source has told us of Veggle staff buying meat based take away food and eating it on site at Veggle during their breaks.
- Veggle Cafe
- G13A & 15, E-plaza, 7 Shing Yip St
- Nearest MTR – Kwun Tong exit B1
- +852 3565 5077
- Open Mon – Sat 12.00 – 21.00. Open Sun 12.30 – 20.30
28) Vegtopia – Opened July 2017 offering tom yum, laksa, pho, curry and other dishes with wheat or rice noodles. Re-packaged Dec 2017 aimed at fine dining clientele.
Room 629, 6/F, Shing Yip Industrial Building, 19-21 Shing Yip Street
Nearest MTR Kwun Tong exit B1
+852 6578 1357
- Vegtopia advise Open Fri – Sun, 18.00 – 22.00 for minimum 2 people per booking. Open other evenings for groups of 10+ people. Pre-booking always required at least three days in advance.
Appendix a) – to clear confusion on why they don’t make the list despite being listed in other media as all-vegan:-
- Amazing Kitchen
- Eat Well Canteen
- Fung Ying Seen Koon – Mr Kwok managing the restaurant advises egg is used in a small amount of the food
- Lo Hon Monastery – A Carnation brand condensed milk can was visible on the shelf
- Mayse Artisan Bakery – uses milk & egg in the stollen bread. Elina there says they are considering withdrawing that product (watch out for updates)
- Po Lin Monastery – Nestle ice cream in their deli take away has beef tallow listed as an ingredient
- Rainflower in Yau Tong – Miss Chan there advises they accept donations of non-vegan food they pass to other people. Email us if you’d like a pic of egg noodles there
- Ten Thousand Buddhas – consistently uses milk and egg
- Zen Eats Cuisine – Gary in charge clearly states they do not preclude using honey and he wants this place categorised as vegetarian rather than all-vegan
- Zhi Chuk Lam – uses honey in beverages, offers egg Chinese rolls in the shop section
Appendix b) – no longer listed from previous versions of this article:-
- Anything But Salads (closed)
- Beauty and Juice – contract with vegan caterer Alpha Living Planet ended in Jan 2017
- Benzhen Vegetarian – revised menu includes honey (mentioned location now also closed)
- i Vegetarian (Closed Sep 2017)
- Kan Kee (not vegan like they claimed it was)
- Light Radiant Food (closed)
- Lock Cha – no longer marketed as all-vegan
- Mana! Raw (now re-branded as Mana! Express serving lacto ovo as well as vegan grade vegetarian food)
- Ohm – stocked wool products in the shop. Avoids straight answers to questions re their commitment to an all-vegan stock policy for their shop section
- Popular Vegetarian (closed)